Present-day Santa Ysabel Ranch can be traced back to Mission San Miguel Arcángel lands. The mission is a Spanish mission in San Miguel, San Luis Obispo County, California. It was established on July 25, 1797 by the Franciscan order, on a site chosen due to the availability of water and the large number of Salinan Indians that inhabited the area, whom the Spanish priests wanted to evangelize. The present-day Santa Ysabel Ranch subdivision was part of the lands inhabited by the native Salinan Indians for thousands of years prior to the founding of the mission.
Rancho Santa Ysabel was a 17,774 acre Mexican land grant in present-day San Luis Obispo County, California given in 1844 by Governor Manuel Micheltorena to Francisco C. Arce. The grant was southeast of present-day Paso Robles, between the Salinas River on the west and Huer-huero Creek on the east.
With the cession of California to the United States following the Mexican-American War, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo provided that the Mexican land grants would be honored. As required by the Land Act of 1851, Francisco Arce filed a claim for Rancho Santa Ysabel with the Public Land Commission in 1852, and the grant was patented to him 14 years later in 1866.
Arce sold parts of the rancho to Jeremiah Clark in 1853, to Manual Castro in 1855, to Theodoro Gonzales in 1859, and to Maurice Dore 1874 after buying it back between sales. Francisco Arce died in 1878.
Chauncey Hatch Phillips with the West Coast Land Company bought Rancho Santa Ysabel in 1886, and subdivided it to be sold as farm lots to individuals ready to settle in the area being opened up by the arrival of the railroad.
With the coming of the railroad in 1886, the West Coast Land Company set aside 160 acres for the town of Templeton to the south of Santa Ysabel Ranch after purchasing 63,000 acres of surrounding countryside for subdividing into small ranches to sell to settlers. Originally the town was called Crocker after Charles F. Crocker, a vice president of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Crocker declined the honor of having a town named after him and chose Templeton, the name of his 2-year-old son, instead.
The West Coast Land Company held an auction of the Santa Ysabel ranch land in April, 1887 for lots starting at 5 acres and $10 to $30 per acre ($265 to $796 per acre today). The auction was promoted in San Franciso newspapers, and a special Southern Pacific train was scheduled to Templeton from San Francisco.
D. W. Horsburgh, a major land owner, formed the Santa Ysabel Hot Springs Land Development Company in 1888 to develop the area around the hot springs into a resort and to sell residential lots around the resort. However, after the railroad bypassed the hot springs, the lots did not sell well, and the resort was never built. Lake Ysabel formed by damming the hot springs became a popular picnicking and swimming area for years afterward.
The Horsburghs operated a dairy farm on the land until 1932 when it was sold to C. W. hunter for ranching. Weyrich Development Company acquired approximately 674 acres in the early 2000’s and subdivided it into 146 residential lots to create the present-day Santa Ysabel Ranch. Lot sales began in August, 2002 and were conducted in three phases concluding in 2004.